I eat - Reviews #1

2:56 pm

Wild Honey 
Scotts Square
6 Scott Square #03-01 
http://wildhoney.com.sg/

Wild honey has always been the choice I will go to whenever I have enough moolah. Not to mention about the pricey menu they have, their portion can be quite big and fill you up. They have 2 outlets, but there's a slight difference in their menu and.. cooking style. (like duh right.) however i did noticed about the distinct difference between my food and my friend's when i visit the 2 different outlet even though is just one street apart. 

So I had their Tunisian breakfast when i visit their Scotts Square outlet. So in the pan is, tomatoes, eggs, onion, chili, red pepper and sausage. Ok, to be honest i was so greedy that i burnt my tongue when I want to eat this, cause mine took the longest to come as compared to all my other friends. However it did not disappoint me for sure. 


Grab a bit of the bread and match it with the pan of wonders. The smell of the tomato instantly spread throughout your entire mouth. While the salad at the side is rather.... cooling for me. It tasted simple with not much garnish in it, similarly if you have it with the bread, it doesn't have too much flavors, something more refreshing as compared to the pan. Its a pity, 1/2 the time I cannot taste it carefully because I burnt my tongue. 

Mandarin Gallery 
333A Orchard Road #03-02 


My first visit is their Mandarin Gallery outlet. I had their Scandinavian breakfast. Which is mainly rosti and grilled salmon. I was amazed by the big asparagus! The sauce was alright, but the salmon is very well cooked and most importantly is very fresh. The rosti is normal, nothing to fascinate about. It tasted almost like some strands of things being fried, I hardly taste any potato. The asparagus doesn't come with any sauce. The entire dish doesn't have much flavors (apart from the hollandaise sauce) but it tasted very simple.  

Generally the two outlets have really dim lighting, the outlet at scotts square has sofa seats but is too low and you will have a hard time eating on the sofa. Thus, ask for a normal table, don't be fooled by sofa seats. Hahahahaha! The Mandarin Gallery outlet majority of the time are full since the place is small too, so better make a reservation before going there to ensure a seat. :)  


Group Therapy
49 Duxton Road #02-01 
http://www.gtcoffee.com/

Located at the second floor of the shop houses. I bump into this cafe by accident as I walked down the street with my friends after our dinner there. We wanted to go up and see what is it and come to realise that it is a cafe. We went there on a friday night but it is not overly crowded. So we sat down there for some desserts. 

Generally I like all the dessert there. Some of their dessert are seasonal and they might not sell it, sometimes you got it sometimes you don't. You just got to try your luck, so the night when I first visit there we were lucky to be able to try a few of their dessert. 

Anyway, don't miss out their wide range of beers here. We ordered a Rekordelig Strawberry lime cider, and Brothers Toffee Apple cider. I myself prefer the Toffee apple cider a lot. Its sweet just like how it should be, but I personally like toffee therefore I have a special liking to anything that has Toffee in it, of course if you are not someone that is very keen of having beer why not go for the toffee apple cider. I couldn't find this toffee apple cider anywhere so far, been to a few bars and cafe but they only sell the pear one. Such a pity. 



One of their seasonal dessert: Snicker tart ($7) 
There's vanilla nougat, caramel & peanuts in it and like you see in this picture, it is topped off with milk chocolate in this really nicely baked bowl. I'm especially picky when it comes to dessert that consist of chocolate, because not every chocolate can pair it off well with just anything. I don't want to describe anything more than how good this is, but the pictures show it all. The chocolate tasted like nutella, and I can't contain my excitement upon eating this. The biscuit was good, its not too hard to bite it off though. 


On my revisit, I went to have their Steak & Cheese Pie ($16)  for my brunch. 
It comes with seasalt chips and salad at the side. I had a mess eating this entire plate of thing, because the moment I cut open my pie, the flakes are all around my plate which is not so bad actually. The generous filling in the pie make me so fullllllllllll. The cheese is fully melted inside the pie, thus you won't miss any cheese as you finish your pie for sure. 


Ice Cream Waffle ($12) 
The waffle is not fluffy and thick like I expected. I would say, the waffle didn't amazed me at all. But if you happen to crave for waffle after having your mains, $12 for a waffle with ice cream and fruits on top is quite worth it. I would give it a 5/10 for the waffle if you want me to rate it. 

My friend ordered Grilled Ham & Cheese Panini Sandwich. ($16) 
Just look at the cheese, whoooooopppppp. It melts and cover the entire ham in the sandwich. SOOOO GOOOODDDD. What is a sandwich without its cheese right right? It took quite a while for my friend to finish up the entire sandwich. The bread was a little hard when I tried it, so don't expect the subway kind of bread, but I would say the bread matches the cheese very well with the Ham and all the other ingredients in it. 
I went to Group Therapy many months ago and believe that they have changed some of their items on the menu, therefore some of the dessert I ate is no longer on their menu. But I will definitely go there for a third visit anytime soon because the mains there are really good, its a good place to just take a book and chill there or to have a mini gathering with your friend. Oh, they have this really cute mini figures outside their toilet and its so small and made of ceramic. Ok side tracked, but group therapy is somewhere you want to go back for more definitely :) 


Five & Dime 
297 River Valley Road 
Singapore 238338 
http://www.fiveanddime.com.sg/

Everyone was cracking brain where to have dinner for my 19th birthday and one of them suggested Five and Dime. Lucky it was a weekday night thus there isn't much people. Anyway we had a hard time finding the place because none of us had been to that area before, but lucky for google map we found it in the end. There isn't much parking space there. Lucky we did not drive the car there because the parking space was quite small. 

For sides, we ordered calamari rings ($8) and meatballs ($8). Yes, that one is meatballs. The calamari rings are not very fantastic. But the meatball is a surprise for sure, it looks like takoyaki balls to me, but there's this thing about the meatball that is quite unique that I can't find the right word to describe. But do it a try. 


As for the mains, I can't make up my mind at all but then since I'm sharing food with my 2 guy friend, we decided to go ahead to get the top 3 most expensive mains on the menu. Call us glutton but no regrets for sure. 

1) Rack of lamb ($28) 

I had the lamb. The lamb was pretty well grilled. The meat is not too cook until the extent you cannot bite it off. There isn't much of a lamb smell in the lamb meat, thus it will be suitable for anyone who would like to try lamb meat but afraid of the smell. The potato was ok, but I think the lamb is really commandable. 


2) Koro koro steak ($32) 

Its cut up into beef cubes, so it save up the trouble of you trying to cut the beef. Just grab a fork and enjoy it! I didn't really like the sauce because it was too salty. But i thought the sauce will go well with the fries actually, the fries can neutralize the sauce pretty well. We asked for medium well, so its not very bloody, but then you can see a little bit of red in the meat. Must try too.  


3) Seared Salmon ($23) 

Now this one here must be the one that surprise me the most! THE SALMON IS SWEET. But its sweet because of the sauce that is use to marinate it of course. On top of the fish is parmesan cheese, yum yum. the salmon fillet is quite big for its price. It was damn filling and I was so satisfied after eating the salmon. Do give it a try if you are salmon lover! Something different from what I will usually eat at other places! 


 Anyway, I posted the pictures on my instagram and they even commented to tell me hope I have a nice dinner at their place. (Wow at the power of social media) But anyway, they serve my cake in this very cute stand which I feel pretty much like a princess that day hahahahah! 


Do drop by Five & Dime and give it a try. Since the space is pretty small, do remember to call up to reserve your seats so that you don't have to queue outside. 


Real Food 
110 Killiney Road, Tai Wah Building
Singapore 239549 
http://www.realfoodgrocer.com/


Real food is a really really big shop along the road, their menu are mainly organic food and they do not have any meat on their menu so drop the idea of going there to eat junk food or whatever. They have a huge varieties of food there so go ahead and pick what you want. I had their original strawberries and banana pancakes. The pancakes are thick and fluffy, pairing it with the fresh fruits, is yum yum. The sweetness of the maple syrup is just right. 

The pancake has a very strong egg smell which I didn't really like it. The banana are all caramelized but again, its not so sweet like how it should be. The pancake is slightly burnt as you can see, however it makes the outer of the pancake slightly crisp, i thought it taste pretty unique that way. 

I ordered their organic coffee ($4) , it doesn't have a very pleasant taste thus i didn't really like it. Something pretty different from something that I will usually drink, it doesn't have strong coffee smell and taste thus I feel like the caffeine is not enough for me. hahahahahahaha! 

This outlet that I went to actually have sofa seats. The entire restaurant is divided into 2. One with all the sofas and the other one with the normal dining table. A really quiet environment, a really good place for you to do your work or read a book. At the side of the restaurant sells all of their organic food, people who are interested can actually go and take a look. :) 

Hoshino Coffee
Plaza Singapura 
68 Orchard Road #03-84 
Singapore 238839 


What's something different in the new wing of Plaza Singapura? Hoshino coffee is the answer that you are looking for. Not your normal Japanese cuisine that serve sushi and sashimi. They have a wide range raging from mains to desserts. So I ordered a "Fuwa-fuwa" hoshino souffle ($15.80) and a Japanese hand drip coffee ($5.80).  So if this big thing above my bowl, is creamy light eggs that becomes foam. Yes, its fluffy! In the bowl is actually rice with a lot of sausage in it. Initially I thought it won't be filling until I finish the entire bowl, but is more of the getting sick of it after many mouthful of rice, I was so bloated after finish eating the entire bowl. The coffee has a strong coffee smell and after taste, definitely the cup of coffee for me. But be sure to get some sugar and milk if you don't like it to be too bitter. But its definitely good coffee. I tried their spaghetti but is really really oily and I don't really like it. The pancakes are good, and its really very soft, if you are someone that has sweet tooth be sure to go for it! 

Little Part 1 Cafe
15 Jasmine Road
Singapore 576584 
http://www.littlepart1cafe.com/


Hidden at the back of the road with many private estate. I would say this shop is a little bit hard to spot if my colleague didn't drive me there. The shop is good for their crepe! I swear I was so full after my crepe, the serving is so big that is enough for 2 person. The crepe is not the soggy kind that you always eat, where sauces are leaking all over your crepe. The salmon are nicely wrapped in the crepe, the taste of the salmon did not overtake the crepe entirely, there's a right amount of salmon and crepe every bite you take. There isn't any special sauce in it, the salmon is just normal smoke salmon as well. So I won't say is very special. We went there during lunch time however the entire shop is empty, clearly that the location isn't very convenient especially when you don't drive. But given that, cafes don't really sell savory crepes, why not drop by here for a crepe if you happen to pass by 

Wheeler's Yard 
28 Lor Ampas 
Singapore 328781



One word. Overrated.
Beef Yard Burger ($16.90)  
Despite the nice ambiance there, probably you can chill with a storybook over there other than that the place is pretty inconvenient, especially when you don't drive and the food there are just alright. It was quite disappointing because I expected something better there, my burger bun was hard and the food is cold. I'm not sure whether is it because the area is really cold that turns my food cold or what, but with my first bite, I'm not impressed at all. The patty was dry too. The big breakfast was normal, the scrambled egg didn't had much taste even adding salt and pepper, and the mushroom was a little too salty for me. The coffee was a little bland but generally acceptable. The environment would probably be the only reason why I go back there but not for the food definitely. 

The Merry Men Kitchen + Bar 
86 Robertson Quay #01-02 
Singapore 238245 
http://bythemerrymen.wordpress.com/



Merry men serve one of the best smoked salmon pizza I ever had. Located along the river at Robertson Quay, it was a romantic place for a date definitely. They have outside seats as well but singapore weather is too hot to enjoy a dinner outside. So I had their truffle fries as well, nothing special. I was quite upset that my truffle fries turned soggy in the end, because is serve in a bucket and the fries are all piled inside the bucket. The serving was huge for the truffle fries and it tasted like normal fries to me, nothing special. Hidden beneath the smoked salmon are onions, which goes with the smoked salmon perfectly well. Neither of it overpower the  taste of each ingredient. Thin crust pizza, do go for this one. 

Eight Cafe & Bar 
8 Bukit Pasoh Road 
Singapore 089822 
http://www.eightcafebar.com/




What's the best part of this cafe? the service! I like how one of the waiter is always so eager to serve. That really make the dinner even more enjoyable :) 
So first up we are serve with bread, hot hot bread that is fluffy and taste so good. First we had calamari, but it was hard and salty thus it was a disappointment. For main, I had their catch of the day, which is salmon. The salmon was thick and served with butter sauce. The sauce was pretty bland, without much seasoning and not much taste, but it goes pretty well with the salmon. The other main that we ordered is their daily special, a 400g wagyu beef if I never remember wrongly. The sauce was too salty as well, ordered a medium steak but it feels more like a medium rare because of the amount of blood. Either way, the beef was alright not so much of a fascination. Overall the ambience of the restaurant was really good and the service staffs are all very attentive. 

Max Brenner Chocolate Bar 
Esplanade Mall 
8 Raffles Avenue #01-06/08 
Singapore 039802 
http://maxbrenner.com/


If you need somewhere to satisfy your chocolate craving,  Max Brenner Chocolate bar will definitely be one of the choices on your list. So I went there for their waffle and the waffle turn out to be hard. But the amount of fruits given were really generous! But the strawberry I ate was sour. Apart from everything the chocolate was gooooooddddd, while all the chocolate drinks are all rich in chocolate taste and is super thick, there's this chocolate chai tea that doesn't taste much like chocolate but just a small bit of chocolate taste while you drink it. I kinda like that since I don't like thick chocolate drinks. The previous visit to their other outlet I had their chocolate lava cake and churros. The churros comes with 2 chocolate dip, so we had white chocolate and dark chocolate dip. Woooohooo, the chocolate was good but the churros is just ok. No doubt, the chocolate lava is very rich in chocolate. It's not too sweet, the cake isn't too dry as well, although it tasted like any other chocolate cake however the chocolate that flow out was really good. Chocolate lovers have to go there if you want any chocolate related dessert. 

Kith Cafe 
Park Mall 
9 Penang Road #01-01E 
Singapore 238459 
http://kith.com.sg/journal/


I went to kith cafe for catch up with some friends over brunch. I ordered their Cajun scrambled egg. It's a lot of things mixed inside my scrambled egg for sure and it's only $15! So inside the scrambled egg includes smoked bratwurst, capsicum, matches, onions, mozerella (YES CHEESY EGGS) and black truffle! So it comes with 2 toast and you can choose what filling you want your toast to be, my friend choose nutella for her's. I also ordered their Iced Honey milk latte ($7) to go with my brunch and share a plate of Truffle Fries ($9.50) with my girls. Ok, my perfect combi for scramble egg is always sausage and cheese thus I don't deny this is the happiest scrambled egg I ever ate. However, there were too many things inside my scrambled egg and its confusing for my taste bud. The Smoked bratwurst tasted weird for some reason, but overall i like my scrambled egg a lot and I'm so happy. Next up will be the truffle fries, hmmmm I would say the smell of the truffle oil is really strong, just that the sauce that comes with it tasted bland. Pretty normal truffle fries. My Iced honey milk latte was good. Something out of the norm, its not very sweet and it tasted just right for me. Not so bitter like the usual latte, but not too sweet as well. Instead of sugar syrup, they had honey instead which is a pretty different recipe and I'm really satisfied with my coffee. 
It was a pleasant experience, sat outside and it wasn't too warm for us because it just rain like half an hour before we reached there, but probably because is outdoor so there's ants crawling on my table but generally still fine for me. 


La Ristrettos 
Novena Medical Center
10 Sinaran Drive #08-37 
Singapore 307506 


First of all, yay to tax free cafe! 
Located in the hidden corner of Novena Medical Centre, not many will have spot this cafe unless you really make your trip there. So I ordered Seafood Capellini Salsa Di Pomodoro ($15.90) that's indeed a long name for a plate of pasta. The serving turn out to be quite small and the tomato based is quite creamy and I really like the sauce because it tasted different from the normal sauce that I usually eat for pasta. The creamy tomato sauce tasted just right, not too sour nor too sweet for a tomato based. La Ristrettos is also famous for their coffee, thus I grab a cafe latte. yes, a perfect cup of coffee for my lunch. The after taste of the coffee tingle in my mouth for quite a while and its one of the better coffee I drank in many cafes. I would greatly recommend the coffee here if you are looking for cafes with great coffee. 
Their outdoor seat are filled with many greens around, a pond and ok bright sun, the bright sun just doesn't seems to be like a good idea to have your lunch outdoor. Other than that the indoor is pretty small actually, so do have some patience if you want an indoor seat. 

GRUB 
Ang Mo Kio - Bishan Park 
510 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1 
Singapore 569983 
http://grub.com.sg/



I was craving for some burgers that day when I head to GRUB. So I ordered their Chicken thigh burger ($12) with a bottle of cider. Inside the burger are kaffir lime mayo and fried enoki and of course the big piece of fried chicken thigh. First bite, the burger is fluffy and is so soft that I cannot quite grab hold of myself. The fried chicken thigh tasted different from how the normal fried chicken should be done, i cannot quite tell what is it inside but it just tasted differently from what I usually eat. And yes fried enoki, my enoki is already cold by then because I'm still right under the aircon with super strong ventilation so all my food turned cold pretty fast, but i would rather sit inside than being fed by the mosquito outside to be honest. Churros! it comes with 2 different dipping sauce, chocolate and tangy creme anglaise. The churros was soft and yummy, with a lot a lot of sugar on the outside. What's special will definitely be the tangy creme anglaise that comes with the churros, it has small bits inside the dip and it doesn't have much taste but it neutralize how sweet the churros are and goes with it very well. You have to try their churros if you are a churros lover! Despite sitting indoor, the place still somehow have bugs around, I see many bugs jumping around right infront of me even though i'm sitting at the bar table. So do remember to bring insect repellent if you want to go there and sit outdoor. Also, don't be fool by the sight when there's nobody queuing, because infront of you might have another 2 more people waiting for seats. 

November 8
  • 11, Sin Ming Road, #01-30 
  • Thomson V two
  • Singapore 575629
https://www.facebook.com/November8.SG
WAFFLES!!! Do you love waffles? If yes, then you have to visit November 8! If i ever have cravings for waffle, i never fail to go back November 8 again and again for it. Their Waffle Breakfast ($15) consist of the above as the picture shown. Don't dwell too much on the scrambled egg and the other things on the plate. The main focus here is waffle. Fluffy, soft waffle that is served hot right infront of you. Its sweet even without going with the maple syrup given. The waffles itself can be really filling, so you can always opt for the waffles only selection instead of all the breakfast. I tried their Iced Vanilla Latte ($6) on my third visit there and to my surprise, the latte was pretty good as compared to the other latte I tried there. I also tried the sweet potato fries ($7) and waffle cut fries ($8) on my previous visit and it tasted like the oil has been overused for many times. (I can taste like bacon smell in my fries) so I won't recommend their fries. The waiting time is approximately 15-20 mins no matter what dish you order and they have ukulele and guitar there for you to play with if you are bored. The entire cafe is pretty quiet, which makes a perfect place for you to just sit down there and chill. 

One Man Coffee
215R Upper Thomson Road
Singapore 574329
https://www.facebook.com/onemancoffee


Like the name of the shop, this shop is really really really small and the coffee is really really good. When I say is good, is unlike the ones that we usually drink with lots of sugar syrup and etc. The coffee is really true coffee taste, regardless of what kind of coffee you ordered there. I had their flat white on my first visit and the coffee smells good without leaving any bitter or sour taste. If you order a mocha, the coffee actually overpower the chocolate but not entirely, which still leave a little bit of sweetness and chocolate taste for those who do not like their coffee to be so bitter. 
I had their gashouse egg ($10). I cut open the middle and the egg yolk start flowing out from the middle and yes no doubt i like my egg to fill up the bread like that. The toast was crispy and nicely cook. It comes with the scone like thing with bacon jam, it tasted like normal char siew that we eat in char siew pau, but seem like it goes well with this scone like thing too. 
I didn't felt full after finishing all this. It felt like as if i'm just 3/4 but i don't feel like eating anything else. The serving was pretty small for me, but for $10 and is tax free, I thought this was good enough and worth its price. They have swing seats on the outside which I always wanted one at home (but couldn't afford it) thus I enjoyed myself fully in the swing during lunch. Hahahahaha! One Man Coffee is definitely worth the trip back again and again for their coffee and I'm so happy for this discovery because its been long that I drink good coffees. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search This Blog

Popular Posts